We want you and your home to be safe this holiday season. Your home insurance and health insurance are the last things we want you to have to use! Keep safe with these health & home insurance tips for holiday preparedness from PLC Insurance.
Whether your dreams are full of sugarplums, candy canes, latkes, or collard greens, we wish you a very happy and safe holiday season.
Fireside and Flame:
- Keep flames, candles, and heat sources away from combustibles, like decorations and holiday trees.
- Make sure candles are snuffed out before leaving a room.
- Candles should be in a stable base, and far out of reach of children or pets. If someone is a burned, run burn under cold water immediately, then assess the extent of the burn. If needed, go to the hospital or call 911.
- Do not light a fire if the chimney has not been cleaned in a long time. Chimney fires are a great danger to homes.
- Make sure the flue is open before lighting fires in the fireplace.
- Be cautious what you put in the fire, how much you put in, and always use a screen to keep hot embers where they belong - in the fireplace.
Boughed and Bright:
- Fresh trees should be green, with needles that are hard to remove, and are not brittle.
- To test for a fresh tree, bounce the trunk of the tree on the ground. If it rains needles, the tree is too dry.
- Keep trees well watered and away from heat sources (fake trees should be kept away from heat as well).
- Tree ornaments should not be hung from light strands. Choose tree ornaments that are less breakable, and do not pose a choking hazard if there will be children nearby.
- Artificial trees are fine, but never use electric lights on a metallic tree; it can short and cause a house fire.
- Use undamaged lights that have the UL (Underwriters Laboratory) tag to ensure they have been tested for their prescribed use, and use only as directed.
- Extension cords should have no more than 3 regular light strands plugged in, and outlets should not be overcrowded with plugs.
- Be aware of pets… They could climb up, knock over, or otherwise cause havoc with trees, decorations, lights, and flame. Use with extreme caution when animals are involved.
- Turn off all lights before going to bed.
© 2016, PLC Insurance. The reader assumes all responsibilities for his/her own actions in regards to any items discussed in this report. Adherence to all applicable laws and regulations, federal, state and local, governing the use of any product or service described in this report in the US or any other jurisdiction is the sole responsibility of the reader. The publisher and author assume no responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of the reader of these materials. The reader is encouraged to consult directly with his/her insurance professional.