Jump to navigation

by Michelle Ferris on May 10, 2016

As the weather gets nicer and we get more active, you may be starting to think about planning summer vacations or doing a remodel on your home. If you're planning to not live in your home for an extended period of time, beware! You home insurance could be in danger.

Insurance companies have company-specific rules about how long a home can go unoccupied without the insurance being altered or cancelled.

There are many reasons for this. Vacant homes can be seen as an "attractive nuisance" and attract trouble from neighborhood children who hurt themselves on your property, or attract vandals or burglars. Also, if there is damage to the home from sewer backup, flooding, or pipes bursting, there is no one there to assist in preventing further damage to the property.

Typically, if you're going to be gone for 30 or more consecutive days, you need to purchase a special home insurance endorsement from your home insurance company. Time limits vary depending on the home insurance company your home is insured through. Check your home insurance policy or call your insurance agent to find out.

Home insurance coverage and premiums vary for unoccupied (property has been left as if the owners will return at any time) and vacant (property is entirely empty, without any personal property inside) homes. There are things that can be done to ensure your premium is lower, such as winterizing your home, installing smoke detectors, and having an active alarm system.

Be sure to keep your insurance company updated about if you leave the house vacant or unoccupied. If something happens while you're away and they haven't been told, your entire claim can be denied and home insurance policy cancelled.

Whether you're travelling, selling your home, have a house sitter, have a neighbor to check on your home, call your insurance company. Different home insurance companies view individual situations differently. Some consider a house sitter as having the house occupied. Others don't. Some require an endorsement, permit, or surcharge. Others don't.

The safest way to protect your home and your home insurance policy is to keep an open line of communication with your home insurance agent. Contact PLC Insurance today for more information about your home insurance policy.

© 2019, PLC Insurance. The reader assumes all responsibilities for his/her own actions in regards to any items discussed in this report. Adherence to all applicable laws and regulations, federal, state and local, governing the use of any product or service described in this report in the US or any other jurisdiction is the sole responsibility of the reader. The publisher and author assume no responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of the reader of these materials. The reader is encouraged to consult directly with his/her insurance professional.
Return to
« All news
Previous article
Identity Theft

Article Comments

There are no comments yet.

Be the First to Leave a Comment

(Do not fill out this field, or your comment will be ignored. This field is here to help us protect against automated (spam) comments.

Your comment will show up once it has been reviewed.

Share this blog post

« Back to all news

Referral Program Charitable donations

Tell your friends about PLC!
We'll make a donation to a local charity in your name. Learn more

Bookmark our mobile site visit m.plcins.com

Information you need, when and where you need it most. More »

PLC Insurance, LLC - Serving the Greater Seattle Area and all of the Pacific Northwest

Jump to navigation



Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM

Our location

Lynnwood office

19401 40th Avenue W, Suite 440
Lynnwood, Washington 98036

Additional navigation:

Home Page | Why Choose an Independent Agent? | Contact | About | Service | Search | Privacy Policy

© 2019 PLC Insurance

PLC Insurance services all of the US, with a focus on the Puget Sound, Lynnwood, and Seattle, Washington