Jump to navigation

MOLD… Dry Out the Damp

from PLC Insurance
RSS

by Michelle Ferris on Nov 08, 2016

The cleanliness of your home can have direct implications in your health and the health of your family, friends, and even pets. Additionally, so can what you're using to clean it. If you have mold growing in your home after this long winter, be sure you learn about mold and take care of it!

About 82% of surface molds (on walls, solid furniture, etc) can be killed with a natural-ingredient mixture of either:

 

Tea Tree Oil

Nothing natural works for mold and mildew as well as this spray. Tea tree oil is expensive, but a little goes a very long way. The smell of tea tree oil is very strong, but it will dissipate in a few days.

  • 2 teaspoons tea tree oil
  • 2 cups water

Combine in a spray bottle, shake to blend, and spray on problem areas. Do not rinse. Makes two cups.

 

Vinegar Spray

Straight vinegar reportedly kills 82 percent of mold. Pour some white distilled vinegar straight into a spray bottle, spray on the moldy area, and let set without rinsing if you can put up with the smell. It will dissipate in a few hours.

 

Bleach Spray

If these fail you, a 50% / 50% mixture of water and bleach will also work. Be careful of upholstery, carpet, and other things you don’t want to bleach.

  • Wear non-porous gloves and protective eye wear.
  • Never mix ammonia and bleach. This produces toxic fumes.
  • Open windows for as much ventilation as possible.

 

No matter which spray you chose, instructions are simple. Spray chosen mixture on affected area and wipe off mold. Once clean, spray again and allow to evaporate. Repeat as needed. To help keep mold from growing back, maintaining a temperature of 60 degrees or higher is ideal. Also, dehumidifiers tend to help keep the relative humidity down - and give molds a less hospitable place to live.

If you have more than a few spots or along tracks of windows, you may have a more serious mold problem than a spray bottle can handle. Do your research and make sure you don't have a leak, mold overgrowth, or worse, black mold. For most people, a little mold will not cause harm, so long as it is cleaned up. But larger amounts of mold can cause reactions or health problems. See a professional to learn more.


© 2017, PLC Insurance. The reader assumes all responsibilities for his/her own actions in regards to any items discussed in this report. Adherence to all applicable laws and regulations, federal, state and local, governing the use of any product or service described in this report in the US or any other jurisdiction is the sole responsibility of the reader. The publisher and author assume no responsibility or liability whatsoever on the behalf of the reader of these materials. The reader is encouraged to consult directly with his/her insurance professional.

Article Comments

There are no comments yet.

Be the First to Leave a Comment


(Do not fill out this field, or your comment will be ignored. This field is here to help us protect against automated (spam) comments.

Your comment will show up once it has been reviewed.



Share this blog post


« Back to all news


More articles related to…


Referral Program Charitable donations

Tell your friends about PLC!
We'll make a donation to a local charity in your name. Learn more

Bookmark our mobile site visit m.plcins.com

Information you need, when and where you need it most. More »

PLC Insurance, LLC - Serving the Greater Seattle Area and all of the Pacific Northwest

Jump to navigation

888-455-7554

425-712-3664

Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM

Our location

Lynnwood office

4211 Alderwood Mall Blvd. #210
Lynnwood, Washington 98036

Additional navigation:

Home Page | Why Choose an Independent Agent? | Contact | About | Service | Search | Privacy Policy

© 2017 PLC Insurance

PLC Insurance services all of the US, with a focus on the Puget Sound, Lynnwood, and Seattle, Washington